Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What Google Chrome OS will have?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

chromecartoon

The cartoon you can see on the left was made in 2008 for a magazine just after Google Chrome was announced predicting Google's assault on Microsoft. We have to wait and watch how far this cartoon proves itself. Don't get me wrong, I am indeed thrilled about this whole Google OS vs Microsoft OS thing. But I will indeed agree with think-tanks around the world who are saying that Google Chrome OS isn't going to be a much threat to the Microsoft.


Here's why I am rethinking twice before getting excited for Google Chrome:

4) Google Chrome OS is going to be based on Linux:
This is one reason where I am not totally agreeing with other IT pros. Some are saying that just because Linux wasn't able to capture even a considerable share of market even after being free to use, open-source etc.; and Google Chrome OS is being built on a Linux kernel, it doesn't show much ray of hope about the challenges that the Mountain View giant, Google can pose to the Redmond giant, Microsoft. The general market has, with all due respect, rejected the Linux kernel. Excepting a few loyal group of highly technical users, it is rarely used by anybody as a base OS. And unless Google is ready to rewrite Linux drivers for all devices, printers, keyboards and mice I cannot hope things to change to much.

3) Google Chrome OS is too late:
The very time Google is saying to be needed to build the OS shows that Google has lost an big opportunity to challenge Microsoft. Had this been the situation 2 years earlier when Windows Vista was a proved failure and Windows 7 was no where to be noticed, Google would have sat on a much better level of acceptance than what might be now. That was the only time when Microsoft was really venerable and Apple Mac OS X took a fair amount of benefits from the situation and improved the presence of the Leopard OS in the market. But with Microsoft launching Windows 7 on Oct. 22nd and Apple will be unleashing its faster Snow Leopard OS sometime around now, I don't think GCOS will have any breathing space, not atleast in the consumer market.

Also right now the OS itself is no more getting importance in Computing World. And because GCOS will begin with a lot of device driver incompatibilities, I don't even think of it making even a small dent on the market share of MS and Apple.

2) Android shows Google can't build an OS:
Android OS made for iphone and Palm Pre has been subjected to a lot of criticism from both public and the pros. Although I haven't personally interacted with the OS but from what I am seeing on other websites and magazines, I don't think Android was the right choice to make. Android was also touted to be used in Netbooks. But with Google announcing GCOS, perhaps the search-engine giant has realized that the Java software sitting on top of a Linux codebase, which is the case in Android, would have severe performance limitations on a PC.

1) What if users went offline?
Google in their official blog stated that Google Chrome OS is based on the concept of renewed status of Operating System as mere tool to get online. But what if we cannot be online? Will Google Docs run like Gmail does offline with Google Gears? What if I want to play my favourite games offline and not wish to play Age of Conan anymore? Will Google Chrome OS be all about booting a whole OS from Chrome browser or doest it allow me to install OpenOffice to make presentation and Nero to burn DVD's? This is the main question Google has not given satisfactory answers on.

Bonus: Even Google doesn't know what to do with Chrome OS:
Check this page and see what concerns does Google have on releasing its own browser! You will be amazed how pointless Google is with its GCOS. Neither its knows what pricing will be nor even the main question: What will happen if we are offline!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
Hey guys this is Vaseem Ansari, 25 years old, Software & Web Developer, Blogger & works on Open Sources Technologies I love my family and my loved once very much. It takes a while for me to build trust in someone new. I am honest, thoughtful, and my friends tell me that I am wise. I would also say that I am stubborn. but I do learn from my mistakes. I'm Glad I'm Me No one looks The way I do. I have noticed That it's true. No one walks the way I walk. No one talks the way I talk. I am me. There's no one else I'd rather be! Have fun reading this blog and don't forget to subscribe to the feed to keep updated on the latest articles. Visit my Blog at http://www.VaseemAnsari.com/blog/

Followers