Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Facebook acquires FriendFeed

PALO ALTO, California (BNO NEWS) — Facebook, the popular social networking website, announced on Monday that it has acquired social aggregator FriendFeed.

In a statement, the company said it acquired the website but provided no financial terms of the acquisition. FriendFeed was launched in October 2007 by four men who are all former Google employees.

"Facebook and FriendFeed share a common vision of giving people tools to share and connect with their friends," said Bret Taylor, a FriendFeed co-founder and previously the group product manager who launched Goole Maps. "We can't wait to join the team and bring many of the innovations we've developed at FriendFeed to Facebook's 250 million users around the world."

Facebook said all FriendFeed employees will join Facebook and the site's founders will hold senior roles on Facebook's engineering and product teams.

Paul Bucheit, another co-founder of FriendFeed, said they were impressed by the "open, creative culture" at Facebook. "It was immediately obvious to us how passionate Facebook's engineers are about creating simple, ground-breaking ways for people to share, and we are extremely excited to join such a like-minded group," he said.

Along with Taylor and Buckheit, they co-founded the website with Jim Norris and Sanjeev Singh. "At FriendFeed, they've brought together a world-class team of engineers and designers," the statement from Facebook read.

"Since I first tried FriendFeed, I've admired their team for creating such a simple and elegant service for people to share information," said Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder and CEO. "As this shows, our culture continues to make Facebook a place where the best engineers come to build things quickly that lots of people will use."

FriendFeed, based in Mountain View, California, has currently 12 employees. Facebook said that FriendFeed.com will continue to operate normally "for the time being" as the teams determine the long term plans for the website.

Facebook was founded in February 2004 and has more than 250 million users around the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
Hey guys this is Vaseem Ansari, 25 years old, Software & Web Developer, Blogger & works on Open Sources Technologies I love my family and my loved once very much. It takes a while for me to build trust in someone new. I am honest, thoughtful, and my friends tell me that I am wise. I would also say that I am stubborn. but I do learn from my mistakes. I'm Glad I'm Me No one looks The way I do. I have noticed That it's true. No one walks the way I walk. No one talks the way I talk. I am me. There's no one else I'd rather be! Have fun reading this blog and don't forget to subscribe to the feed to keep updated on the latest articles. Visit my Blog at http://www.VaseemAnsari.com/blog/

Followers